Monday, December 26, 2011

Menudo... Not Ricky Martin

The monotony and repetition that comes from working 5 to 6 days a week, making the same moves with the same sauces and ingredients and people can become a bit stifling. I'm sure the same principle applies in any profession and passion career choice. In the kitchen, in particularly, there are waves of different motives as to why you might continue to cook and physically torment your body a lot. One of which is the shear thrill of a over coming the odds of an overwhelming service. Another is, undoubtedly, the gratification aspect of satisfying people as I've clearly stated on many other occasions. There are quite a few others but forgive me as its 4 am and I don't care to list them I'd just like to illustrate my main point.
    Today was christmas. As is tradition in my family we go to my grandmas house for the night. The Berrones side. It's always a very casual attitude when we get together because we all see each other fairly often and are generally simple people. I heard before we left today that my grandma had made menudo and tamales. Now, this is nothing new to me or my family. These are staple dishes that me and my brothers and everybody grew up eating. The trick is WHO is going to take on the task this year or for which occasion. So when I heard this was whats goin down I was in immediate "hell yeah" mode.
       Walking through the back door, never having to knock and always being greeted with a "eeyyyy what up duude?!" are a few of the things that put me at ease when getting together. It's an age old affinity. But TODAY... there was the aroma of a pot full to the brim of slow rolling liquid flavored with cumin, paprika, chili powder and garlic. To each their own but that pot and those smells transport me. (And yes I know I'm young as is, but everyone knows what I mean if I say "takes you back to the inner kid") My favorite thing to do is open the pot and catch the steam rollin up into my face even if it burns and take a spoon and just swirl the hominy and tripe around reminiscent of how a child would fuck with fish in a pond in awe.
       Traditional accoutrements include diced white onion, lemon, cilantro, jalapeno and, I do believe also some queso fresco depending on who serves it. Sitting next to each other in little bowls, waiting to be hand picked and enjoyed, these honest ingredients look awesome. The tripe or pigs stomach can be pretty difficult for some new comers to "stomach" on account of its quite the hard working muscle and needs to be cooked or braised for a while for it to not be rubbery. I guess I just never had a problem with it. Not to mention when coupled with the grainy character of the hominy... its just plain baaaad ass. But this is the big one... the broth is pure magic. You can adjust the flavors however you wish. I prefer two squeezes of lemon and a healthy hand full of onions. **yes your breath is pretty gnarly afterwards** Three huge leaves of cilantro so you just get the aroma and can just eat the leaves you put in. And a shit ton of jalapenos. I suppose that description makes it sound like its not for the faint of heart but I'll stand by my culture when I say it will welcome you with open arms (and sinuses) just the same as I would.
      To tie my opening point to this story, I have to recount on the fellow ship of this dish. As a whole, the process of making menudo is a sort of "set it and forget it" deal. I feel like that idea bleeds into my culture. By no means does it define us as lazy, but more of a people who are quick to want to enjoy each others company. So while the foods working itself, lets all kick it, laugh, dance and be happy. Each person under the roof tonight eating menudo was in such bliss with each spoon full. For me, it was all about the deep wholesome happiness and personal history and memories shared with each bowl. The timing couldn't have been more perfect as it has been a wicked busy season in the restaurant. I didn't lose any invigoration for food. Only gained a few pounds and a rekindled flame.



Shit. I forgot about the tamales. They ruled too.

No comments:

Post a Comment